(Continued from Thursday)


The Penns on Jan. 27, 1767 gave by warrant a tract of 791 acres and 73 perches to Henry Kline, Abraham Rowland, George Gessman and Jacob Groff. This large tract had been surveyed to Michael Kline, Mar. 1, 1749. Kline likely failed to meet conditions, or abandoned the land. Whether Henry Kline was a son of Michael we are unable to say. In April, 1767, a division of the land was made by John Scull, deputy surveyor, by which Henry Kline, received 376 acres, 40 perches; Rowland, 145 acres and 80 perches; Gessman, 159 acres and 60 perches; and Groff, the remainder of 98 acres and 96 perches. Henry Kline's land, called "Klinefelt," perhaps a name applied to the entire Michael Kline tract at the beginning, ran by Geo. Ebinger's land, by land of Christian Kreider and Adam Bough, and by the land of Rowland and Groff.

The Ebinger land must have included the land on which the village of Midway now stands and the Brethren church property, for John S. Bomberger informs us that years ago there was an Ebinger cemetery in the field adjoining the church property on the east. He says that at least one of the markers was a sandstone, which was taken by some men working in a quarry some distance to the south and used to sharpen the drills.

Henry Kline and his wife, Ann Maria, on Nov. 19, 1779, conveyed 125 acres of their land to their son, Conrad, who on June 14, 1783, conveyed it to Frederick Wolfersberger, who on July 5, 1790, conveyed it to George Cryder, who with his wife Maria on April 16, 1796, conveyed it to Christian Kreider, who April 5, conveyed it to Abraham Reist, Sr., of Warwick township, Lancaster county, Reist getting a little of the old Kreider Settlement land, who on May 30, 1809, conveyed it to Christian Bomberger. Christian left it to his nephew, Christian, who married Mary Kreider, the daughter of Tobias of Cleona by his first wife. Christian Bomberger's son John, the noted Prohibition leader, lived on this farm, which about 1868 became the property of Adam Houck, and is now known as the Houck Farm.

"Klinefelt" was immediately east of the "Kreider Settlement," doubtless extended on south and likely included the village of Rocherty. Christian Kreider at the extreme eastern end of the "Kreider Settlement" on Jan. 7, 1772, bought 48 acres and 27 perches, contiguous to his other land, out of "Klinefelt" from Henry Kline.

But let us return to Mary Kreider Bomberger. Her husband, Christian had inherited the farm under consideration, from his uncle Christian, the "Briller Bomberger," who had built the south end to the present old farm house. Mary's husband was killed by a blast. He had lighted the fuse, the explosion delayed, and he went back to examine.

The Bomberger Cemetery

There is a Bomberger cemetery on this property, surrounded by a good mortar-joined limestone wall, with an iron gate entrance to the south, or rather with an iron barricade, for the gate is rusted fast and we had to scale the wall. The cemetery is about 30 feet square. The large evergreen tree in the center makes it conspicuous for a long distance around.

Inscriptions inform us of the burial of the following persons:

We have finished the record of the children of Tobias Kreider of Cleona by his first wife. As we have seen by his second wife, Maria, he had 8 children-4 sons and 4 daughters. But Maria had been previously married to Joseph Dohner. As we had not learned that Maria had a child by the first husband, at the time that we wrote of the family to which she belonged, we shall here give the imperfect sketch which we have of that child after which will be given the other children of Maria by her second husband, Tobias Kreider:

The children of Tobias Kreider of Cleona by his second wife were as follows: